After having struggled with a problem for a long time, I’m going to direct my cry for help here. Maybe one of you generous people will be able to help me.
The problem is, that no matter how hard I try, I haven’t been able to get my SiS SI7012 audio chipset working, but for most things, this isn’t an issue—I just use a USB sound card, which is plug and play.
But still, I’m having some issues with how ALSA manages my devices. My
0 [SI7012 ]: ICH - SiS SI7012
SiS SI7012 with AD1888 at 0xe800, irq 17
1 [default ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set
C-Media USB Headphone Set at usb-0000:00:03.1-2, full speed
It says the USB audio card is set as my default card. But still, the SI7012 is card number 0, and it appears that tons of applications (Flash, mpd, mplayer…) seem to choose whichever is card 0, not what is set as default.
- I cannot watch Flash films. On YouTube or anywhere else—provided sound is necessary.
- I can’t use mplayer, my preferred movie player, to play my movies.
- I cannot use mpd, and absolutely awesome music player to play my music.
I should note that:
- I have tried adding
options snd-intel8x0m index=0to
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, (as the ALSA wiki suggests)
- I am absolutely certain the card works. I can output to it with Banshee, Exaile, VLC and many more
- The device /is/ set as default.
PLEASE. If you know anything about this issue, have seen it before, or just know how to work your Googlemagic, please leave a note in the comments.
Lasse Havelund on September 16th, 2007